Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Wicked Waltz – Chapter I mini-Cd review

Wicked Waltz – Chapter I mini-Cd (Independent Release)

I discovered this US band when I listened to Progpower’s IX showcase sampler D-CD. Their featured song was titled “A Heart That Cannot Bleed” and their Power metal style with some Progressive elements immediately caught my attention. The band was formed in 2004 by guitarist Micah Nicholson and they immediately started spreading their good reputation by giving concerts and participating in compilation CD’s. 2008 was a big year for the band, since their very first release saw the light of day. “Chapter I” includes four songs that provide unique thrills to the listener, from the opening “Lifemare”, to my favorite and catchier “My Last Wish” one of the most brilliant songs I’ve listened to lately!). The big advantage of Wicked Waltz is the solid twin guitars, played my Micah and Jamie, which create a powerful “background” for the intense keyboard parts that play an active role to the band’s musical identity. The voice of Jason is deep, melodic and flexible, something which is necessary for a demanding role in this band. The sextet form Alabama doesn’t deviate from the US melodic Power Metal style with some Progressive Metal elements as I wrote before, but their originality and creativity is obvious and make them stick out like a sore thumb! In case anyone is afraid to stick its neck out, I can easily say that Wicked Waltz is a bright hope for the scene and this is not an inept remark! I can tell you that I long for their full-length CD and I am pretty sure that you’ll feel the same when you obtain and enjoy “Chapter I”! Band’s website:
www.wickedwaltz.net band’s mySpace profile: www.myspace.com/wickedwaltz
Dimitris Starakis

No comments: